Independence Parks & Rec~ Welcome to 2019!!
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities, and programs/ classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE us on Facebook.
The youth and adult program information on this Parks & Recreation web page is updated yearly. We are in the process of updating the information to reflect our 2019 IPRD ACTIVITIES GUIDE. Thank you in advance for you patience as we work to complete this task.
The 2019 IPRD Activities Guide is NOW available to the public!!
** Hard copies of the Activities Guide were delivered to the Independence Schools (including St. John's) grades K-3rd on Friday, 1/11. ONLY 1 per household, please.
** A limited supply of hard copies are also available at the Falcon Civic Center. ONLY 1 per household, please.
** A PDF version is available on this Parks & Rec page click on IPRD Activities Guide on the left of this page.
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
December 1st- March 31st
Monday- Thursday 5:00am- 9:00pm
Friday 5:00am- 8:00pm
Saturday 8:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 4:00pm
Monday- Friday 3:30pm- 9:00pm
Saturday 10:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 10:00am- 3:00pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on memberships, classes and clinics offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX.
It is our goal to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every opportunity to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
Certified Lifeguards Wanted...
The Independence Aquatic Center will hire responsible and hardworking certified lifeguards for the 2019 Aquatic Season. Certification classes are offered across Iowa... See Informational Flier
Independence Parks & Rec ~ In the Know ~
- Memberships to the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE are available for purchase. Cost information is available by clicking on the column at the left of this page or feel free to call the Falcon Civic Center @ 319-334-6711 or River'sEDGE at 319-332-1525.
- We are currently accepting registrations at the Falcon Civic Center for Kickball (1st & 2nd graders), and Wiffleball (4,5 & 6yr olds) and we are currently accepting registrations at River'sEDGE for Dodgeball (2nd, 3rd & 4th graders).
- ROCFIT: The next 6-week session of this class will begin on Monday, January 21st and will meet Monday- Thursday at 4:30am at River'sEDGE. The cost is $150 for the entire 6-week session. Price will decrease by $25 each week if you are unable to commit to the full 6-weeks. Payment options are available... we do prorate, please contact the Instructor, Tiffany, @ 319-404-5453 or visit their website at www.roctrainingcenter.com
- Beginners Boot Camp & HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training): January 7th- February 27th on Mondays & Wednesdays: Boot Camp 5:45-6:15pm & HIIT 6:15-6:45pm at the Falcon Civic Center Gym/ All levels welcome/ Boot Camp OR HIIT is $3.50 per drop-in/ Register at the Falcon Civic Center/ Janet Buls is the Instructor for these classes
- AM Aerobics & Wednesday Wake-Up Workout: 5:45am- 6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center Gym/ Instructor: Janet Buls/ Cost: Wednesday Only is a $4 drop-in or M-W-F is $24 per month/ Mondays & Fridays will focus on flexibility & cardio. Wednesdays Wake-Up Workout will focus on strength & cardio/ Register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes currently meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm (we will keep you posted but, classes may change to M/W or T/TH). Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Reminder: ALL participants MUST sign in at the front desk at Rive'rsEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Thank you.
- River'sEDGE BAGS League: Thursdays, January 10th- February 14th from 6-9pm at River'sEDGE/ Format & Games per night will be determined by # of teams registered. Play anytime between 6-9pm on Thursdays/ Great Night out with friends... Bags, Football & Beer!!/ Contact Lucas @ 319-332-1525 for further details.
- The 2019 Indee Bark Park Tags are HERE (at the Falcon Civic Center)... $25 per dog with proof of vaccinations!! $3.00 day passes are also available.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter