Independence Parks & Rec. ~ Celebrate our spirit!
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
The youth and adult program information on this Parks & Recreation web page is updated yearly, so much of the information regarding programs, leagues, and clinics is consistent with our 2018 IPRD ACTIVITY GUIDE. Information on dates and times will be updated to reflect the 2019 Activity Guide in December 2018. Thank you.
It is our goal to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every opportunity to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
River'sEDGE Thursday Night BAGS League
When: Thursdays/ November 8th- December 20th/ Between 6-9pm
Where: River'sEDGE (206 2nd Ave SW, Independence)
Cost: $15 per teams (All combos of teams welcome, must be 18 years of age)/ Register at River'sEDGE or by calling the River'sEDGE Manager, Lucas Corbett, @ 319-332-1525
Featuring: Flexible scheduling/ 6-week league/ Thursday Night Football on the BIG Screen/ 18 yrs & up/ Need 6 teams MINIMUM to run/ Format & Games per night determined by # registered/ BEER & CONCESSIONS for sale
Falcon Civic Center FALL HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5:00am- 8:00pm
Friday 5:00am- 7:00pm
Saturday 8:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12noon- 4:00pm
River'sEDGE November HOURS
Monday- Friday 3:30- 8:00pm
Saturday 10:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 5:00pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on classes offered. rental availability, and/or to reserve cages.
Independence Parks & Rec ~ In the Know ~
- 3rd & 4th Grade BOYS BASKETBALL- IPRD is offering Youth Basketball for Boys currently in 3rd or 4th grade. Players will be divided into teams of combined 3rd & 4th graders and scheduled to play 5-on-5 games. The registration deadline has been EXTENDED thru WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31ST at the Falcon Civic Center. Practices are arranged by our Volunteer Coaches. Games are typically played on Saturday mornings at the Falcon Civic Center Gym and the season will run November 10th- December 15th. The cost is $35 per boy includes a team shirt, register at the Falcon Civic Center. We are looking to hire a basketball supervisor and officials and NEED Volunteer Coaches as well. Contact 319-334-6711 if interested.
- KINDERGARTEN-1ST-2ND GRADE BASKETBALL CAMP- When: November 13th- December 4th/ 4 Tuesdays/ Instruction: 5:30-6:30pm & Open Gym 6:30-7pm. Where: Falcon Civic Center Gym. Open to (Independence Community School District including St. John's) boys and girls in Kindergarten, 1st or 2nd grade/ LIMIT to the first 36 participants registered and paid/ Cost: $25 per child includes a camp shirt/ Register at the Falcon Civic Center before Nov. 7th- Registration will CLOSE once the max limit is met, so HURRY SPACE IS LIMITED!!! Instructors for this 4 night camp is Mr. Brad Shannon & Assistants- A HUGE THANK YOU to Mr. Shannon for giving so generously of his time and talents.
- Parks Staff continues to mow and mulch leaves, winterizing has begun, the RV Park will be closing for the season on November 1st as well as the Complex will get buttoned up for the winter the last week of October, and equipment maintenance continues.
- ROCFIT: As of Monday, 10/29 we will begin the 3rd week of our current 6-week session and the cost is NOW $100 per person!! The class meets on Mondays- Thursdays at 4:30am at River'sEDGE. ROCFIT is a program designed to train an individual of any age, male or female, regardless of athletic ability transforming them into a high-level athlete. Try it TODAY!! Payment options are available... we do prorate, contact the Instructor, Tiffany, at 319-404-5453 or visit their website at www.roctrainingcenter.com
- AM Aerobics & Wednesday Wake-Up Workout: 5:45am- 6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center Gym/ Instructor: Janet Buls/ Cost: Wednesday Only is a $4 drop-in or M-W-F is $24 per month/ Mondays & Fridays will focus on flexibility & cardio. Wednesdays Wake-Up Workout will focus on strength & cardio/ Register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $4.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled.
- Hwy150 Trail Extension work continues in front of Fareway and Norby's Farm Fleet. This concrete trail will continue out to Wal-Mart when complete.
- The 2019 Indee Bark Park Tags are HERE (at the Falcon Civic Center)... $25 per dog with proof of vaccinations!! $3.00 day passes are also available.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter